Before you start face painting check that the child/children have no skin allergies or infections. Although Snazaroo professional water based face paint is non-toxic and highly tested, never paint someone's face if any kind of skin problem is suspected. If in doubt, try a little on the inside of his or her wrist and leave it for approximately 60 minutes to see if a reaction develops.
Make sure your face paints are presented on a clean towel and that you have a good supply of water for washing brushes and sponges between faces.
There is no need to put any cream or moisturizer on the skin before you begin. Water based face paint is best applied directly onto clean, dry skin.
You may wish to keep the hair away from the face with a hair band or clips.
Always apply the base colour first, using a damp sponge. Make sure that the sponge is not too wet by squeezing out excessive water or the finished result may be streaky.
To achieve a deeper colour, allow the first coat to dry and then apply a second coat.
On designs that have a variety of light and dark colours, apply the lighter colour first, if possible.
When applying colour with a brush, keep strokes even and work in continuous lines. Avoid the temptation to sketch. Confidence will come with practice.
Note: Water based face paint is also great for body painting! Use brushes to paint rings on fingers, wrist watches and bracelets on arms, or a huge tattoo - the effects can be stunning.
Maintaining your face painting kit
In order to get the best results, we recommend these basic tips.
- When storing or using the kit, keep it in a cool place out of sunlight. Always make sure your materials and face paint containers are cleaned at the end of every session. Store your materials in a dry clean state with lids on all containers.
- When finishing a session, wipe any excess moisture from the surface of the paints and store with the lids on.
- Brushes should be rinsed well in hot water and left to dry before putting away.
- Sponges should be washed well in hot soapy water and left to dry before putting away.
- Face paint which has been used for more than eighteen months should be discarded.
- Discard badly stained or damaged brushes and sponges.
Birthday Party Tips!
Make your party magical with Snazaroo! Unshackle imaginations and transform your birthday party guests into a pack of terrifying tigers, a group of fairy princesses, a cluster of space-faring astronauts, a pack of ferocious lions or a family of cheeky monkeys!
You can have hours of fun sparking creativity and unleashing their wildest dreams, knowing that when party time is over, a quick sweep with a wash cloth and some soap and Voilà: your little princes and princesses are back to normal, with no tears! And with skin-friendly, easily washable water-based face paints, and 100% EU and FDA approved ingredients, you can rest easy knowing Snazaroo is safe to use!
Purchase a face-painting pack from the trusted face painting brand, Snazaroo. Snazaroo offers many different packs specially designed for parties: The Ultimate Party Pack, Adventure Small Face Paint Kit, Fantasy Small Face Paint Kit, the Mini Starter Kit (and many more!). You can purchase all these kits online at www.snazaroo.co.uk
You don’t have to be a Picasso to do face painting! Children are not perfectionists, so you don’t have to worry about making life-like designs! If you’re not very confident, practice with a few designs and stick to ones you’re comfortable with, then create a mini booklet of faces that children can choose from at your party. If you’re stuck for ideas, you can follow our 3-step how-to guides for our most popular faces!
Don’t waste money on expensive bouncy castles or entertainers for your child’s birthday party, when face painting is fun, easy-to-do and you can buy a pack with everything you’ll need for just £17.49/$26.99! Follow these face painting tips to create long-lasting memories at your child’s birthday:
Face Painting Tips for a birthday party
- Keep a good supply of water for washing brushes and sponges between faces.
- Use hair bands and clips to keep long hair away from the face
- Cut sponges into wedges to give you a fine edge as well as a broad surface
- Rest one hand on the head of the model, to keep their head steady
- Apply lighter colours first and allow the first colour to dry before applying the next
- Keep designs simple, remembering that small children don’t like to sit still for long!
- Keep strokes even and continuous (avoid the temptation to sketch!)
- Use stencils if you’re not confident at painting freehand
- Snazaroo paint is mixable! Mix different paints to create your own colours!
- Describe what you are doing to help reassure a child who is nervous about face painting
- Add glitter to give your designs that finishing touch!
- Keep a mirror nearby so your model can admire their finished creation
- PRO TIP: Face paint can also be used elsewhere on the body! Use Snazaroo to paint on royal jewels and tiaras, tattoos or hand puppets!
- Face painting is not just for kids! Paint yourself and your family and see how much fun it can be!